Determine File Encoding

by Brett on December 14, 2006

I ran into a problem where I wasn’t sure if I could trust the encoding that my text editor was displaying. I also wanted to check the encoding on about 10,000 files and determine if it was not a specific encoding. So, I created a little program to tell me the encoding of a file. This in combination with powershell allowed me to loop recursively through all the files in a directory and create a list of the files that were not the correct encoding.

A Good portion of the code that I used for this application was available on the another site that describes how to determine the Encoding of a Unicode file.

The application can be downloaded below:


Previous post:

Next post: